We held a Great Pink Bake Off cake sale at work in aid of Breakthrough Breast Cancer. I decided to make old fashioned fairy cakes to donate to the cause & I spent a fun afternoon decorating the fairy cakes with my niece & nephew.
Here’s the recipe if you want to recreate the fun & deliciousness at home.
- 115g/4oz butter
- 100g/3.5oz golden caster sugar
- 115g/4oz self-rising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 drops vanilla extract
- 150g icing sugar
- warm water
- 1 drop of vanilla extract
- 2-3 drops of pink colouring (optional)
- 100s & 1000s and soft silver balls as desired
- Preheat the oven to 180oC and line a 12 hole cupcake tin with 12 cake cases. If making heart shaped cakes, grease the heart shaped silicon mould using oil spray.
- Cream together the caster sugar and the butter until it forms a light and fluffy consistency
- Add the egg gradually, folding in some of the flour to prevent the mixture curdling.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix
- Fold in the remainder of the flour and the baking powder and mix together into a smooth batter (take care not to over mix the batter)
- Divide the cake mix between the cake cases or heart shaped moulds
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 mins.
- Once cooked, allow the cakes to cool before decorating
- Mix in 1 or 2 teaspoons of warm water into the icing sugar to form a smooth paste.
- Add a drop of vanilla extract and mix in
- Add food colouring and decorate with 100s and 1000s as desired
I’d love to see your cupcake designs!