My cinnamon french toast is a favourite indulgent treat for those weekends where we fancy something a little extra special; perfect for a home-made brunch. Now let’s be honest, this dish doesn’t fall into the healthy eating category, although it does contain fresh fruit. It’s not designed to be healthy, it is very much a once in a while sweet-toothed treat that tastes sooo good!!
few drops of vanilla extract
2 tsp of vanilla sugar
half tsp ground cinnamon
4 slices of brioche loaf
butter for cooking
Sprinkle of icing sugar
- In a bowl, whisk the egg vigorously, adding the milk, vanilla, sugar, and cinnamon and making sure to whisk until well combined.
- Lay the brioche slices flat in a dish and cover with the egg mixture. Leave it to soak in each side for a few minutes. In this recipe I’ve used chocolate chip brioche (extra bad I know) as that’s what was available in store, but plain or raisin brioche would work just as well, as would plain white bread.
- When you’re ready to cook, heat a griddle or frying pan to a medium heat, and melt the butter.
- Remove the brioche from the mixture and place onto the hot griddle or pan (you may need to do this in batches).
- Cook for a few mins on each side until the brioche has puffed up, the inside is tender and moist and the brioche is golden on the outside.
- Serve the French toast topped with mixed berries and a drizzle of maple syrup or a sprinkling of icing sugar to taste.
What’s your favourite indulgent breakfast?
If you’re giving the French Toast recipe a go, I’d love to see the results on Instagram and Twitter.