We had a charity bake off at work this week and I’d said I would make my favourite chocolate fudge cake for the occasion. I haven’t shared a recipe on here for a while and so thought I’d share this perfect recipe for a chilled out Sunday.
Chocolate Fudge Cake Recipe
125g (4oz) plain chocolate i.e. Bourneville
300ml (1/2 pint) milk
125g (4oz) soft brown sugar
125g (4oz) butter or margarine
125g (4oz) golden caster sugar
2 eggs separated
250g (8oz) plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Chocolate Fudge Icing
50g (2oz) butter
3-4 tbsp milk
250g (8oz) icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
Need 18cm x 28cm (7 inch x 11 inch) tin
Use baking parchment and line the try making sure the paper comes 1 inch above the sides.
When using baking parchment, there is no need to the grease the paper.
- Put chocolate (which is broken into small squares) 4 tbsp of milk and the soft brown sugar into a pan. Heat gently and stir until melted.
- Once melted, stir in remaining milk.
- Cream the butter and caster sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat the egg yolks in thoroughly.
- Sift the plain flour and bicarbonate of soda together. Add to the creamed mixture with the melted chocolate mixture and beat
- Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Fold in 1 tbsp of the egg whites into the cake mixture to lighten it then carefully fold in the rest.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C (in fan assisted oven). Check after 20 mins. Cake needs to spring back when pressed.
- Place on a wire rack and cool slightly
- Put butter and 1tbsp milk in a small pan. Heat gently until melted.
- Sift icing sugar and cocoa powder together. Add to the pan, mixing until smooth, adding a little more milk if needed.
- Pour the mix over the warm cake and spread evenly to the edges. Allow to set completely and cut into squares.
|Chocolate Fudge Cake with Peanut Butter Ice Cream just to be extra naughty!!
I’d love for you to share and let me know if you made the chocolate fudge cake