I’m continuing the ‘budget friendly food’ series with a little bit of a naughtier recipe this week; these very delicious Banana Fritters which are like gorgeous little Banana-ry doughnuts. They are so quick and simple to make and are a great way to use up extra Bananas especially ripe ones.
My Mum taught me how to make these delicious fritters. Her Dad first taught her and they used to make them together all the time. Sadly I only met my Grandpa for a very short while when I was just 6 years old, so this recipe is very precious.
3 ripe Bananas
3 tbsp granulated sugar
5 tbsp self-raising flour
2 cups of vegetable oil for cooking
- Mash up the bananas and combine with the dry ingredients, being careful not to over stir the mixture, but making sure the flour has been well combined.
- Heat up the oil in a deep frying pan or wok.
- Spoon golf ball size balls of the banana batter into the oil, being careful not to splash any of the hot oil.
- The fritters only take a few minutes to cook. Once they have browned nicely, carefully remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon.
- Allow to cool a little before serving. The fritters taste amazing with ice-cream if you want to be extra indulgent, but they are also great by themselves.